Information To Digital Forensics
Some explanation why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences so that it may be utilized in court docket to unravel legal cases. 2. To investigate our network power, and to fill the safety gap with patches and fixes. 3. To get well deleted recordsdata or any information within the event of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, a very powerful things that need to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique evidence should not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and exact copy of the unique media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the original storage is bit-stream image is the slack space in the storage. You'll not find any slack area data on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes must observe the legal laws in corresponding country the place the crimes happened. Every nation has completely different legislation suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very critically, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually trying on the timeline of how the crimes occurred in timely manner. With that, we will produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes might happened. In an enormous firm, it is recommended to create a Digital Forensic Group or Edmonton First Responder Group, in order that the corporate might still preserve the proof until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. By no means should anybody, except for Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recover information from any computer system or device that holds electronic information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the data by particular person stated in number 1, ought to be averted because it could compromise the integrity of the evidence, wherein turned inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that guidelines, it has already explained the important roles of having a First Responder Workforce in a company. The unqualified individual can only safe the perimeter so that no one can contact the crime scene until Forensic Analyst has come (This may be executed by taking photo of the crime scene. They can additionally make notes in regards to the scene and who have been present at that time.
Steps need to be taken when a digital crimes occurred in an expert method: 1. Secure the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst should request for the search warrant from native authorities or company's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there is no any images has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, don't turned off the computer. Instead, used a forensic tools corresponding to Helix to get some information that can solely be found when the computer continues to be powered on, reminiscent of data on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is special operate as not to write something back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. Once all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences must be documented, wherein chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody maintain data on the evidence, corresponding to: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the proof must be accompanied by authorized officer akin to police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as authentic proof must not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody still used in this scenario to maintain records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique evidence and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that unique proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered develop into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to search out evidence in the bit-stream image by fastidiously looking on the corresponding location depends upon what kind of crime has happened. For example: Temporary Internet Recordsdata, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.